With the fall semester quickly approaching, it will soon be time to wrap up summer recruitment and go big! Sigma Tau Gamma understands that recruitment is the lifeblood of our organization. To have members that bring academic strength to our organization, we must recruit young men with high GPAs. To have members that bring great leadership skills, we must recruit young men that are proven leaders in high school and college. To have members that re-enforce our commitment to the community, we must recruit young men that have genuine experience as volunteers! As a values-based organization, we are only as strong as our members. Let’s do what our Founders did in 1920 and bring the top men on campus together to do great things!
We have created a list of 5 easy things to make sure you are ready for your chapter to go big this fall! With the help of free resources from Phired Up Productions, industry leaders in Fraternity recruitment, and the Fraternity Headquarters staff, you can set record numbers at your chapter by recruiting the top men on campus.
1. Create a names list. No complaints, just do it. Put potential new members names on a list in a google doc. Set goals. Share your list with all the members of your chapter, advisors, and a member of the staff for coaching. Make sure your members update the list. Include everyone you know! Check out a sample list here (based on another created by Phired Up): Names List
2. Plan LOTS of small activities. Huge events are a lot of fun... for the men that have already joined Sigma Tau Gamma. But, if we are going to make hundreds of new friends to recruit this fall, we need to focus on small activities with 3-7 guys. Men will join because they have become your friend. So, use small activities as an opportunity to get to know the men you are recruiting, not to tell them about Sigma Tau Gamma. They will develop pride in Sigma Tau Gamma AFTER they join; no need to bore them now with the year we were founded or names of our famous alumni. Check out a list of 100 small activity ideas here and, remember, you are going to have dozens of these so don’t over think it!
3. Develop principled selection criteria. If we are really going to recruit the top men on campus, we must have actual measurable criteria. We must not settle for “good guys” that are nothing more than cool to hangout with. Develop principled selection criteria to actually evaluate your potential associate members. Sigma Tau Gamma has developed a sample as well, here. Each chapter should create its own criteria based on the principles to guarantee you are selecting the best of the best. You believe in value, learning, leadership, excellence, benefit, and integrity; let’s recruit a lot of other men that do, too!
4. Get a recruitment consultation. Each chapter is encouraged to call the Fraternity Headquarters and we ca coach you through everything from creating a names list and planning small activities to offering a bid and overcoming objections.
5. Check out other free resources. Phired Up has developed a huge amount of free resources for Fraternity recruitment. As the premier leader in teaching values-based recruitment, they have proven over and over that their system works! Read about the success many chapters have found using their program here and take advantage of their free resources! Also: subscribe to their newsletter, follow their blog, catch them on facebook, and email their newest resource, a peer coaching network called, Ring of Phire.
Remember, recruitment is the source of, and solution to, every problem the Fraternity faces. We must continuously recruit more and better members to advance Sigma Tau Gamma! As 35th National President Jeff Russo said at the 44th Grand Chapter in 2010, “You must replace yourself for us to continue as a Fraternity... and once you do that, do it again! Only then will we grow and prosper.”
Previous / Next